View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...c-c577fc079046

The Edmonton zone is home to 470 of the 1,044 active cases in the province. Chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw said public health officials are currently working to trace the surge in cases and determine if there are any patterns in terms of transmission.

So a hair under the 2 week mandatory implementation of masks in Edmonton there is a sudden spike. Weird huh? A smaller city with a similar population density like Grande Prairie that has no mask bylaw (we can call this the control subject) has not had a similar increase. This raises some questions.

1. Do masks have any effect whatsoever on the prevention of Covid transmission?
2. Do masks somehow promote transmission?
3. Could there be other dynamics at play that are overlooked that dictate the transmission rate?

I don't have any answers, I am just becoming more amused at the juvenile attempts we are making as society to control something we cannot.

Thoughts?
I am not a big promoter of masks but I don’t believe Grand Prairie vs Edmonton is a fair comparison. With Edmonton starting with a much higher level of outbreak then Grand Prairie it will dramatically skew the numbers

Now if Edmonton’s cases continue to increase at the present rate or higher after the mask laws have been implemented it would give reasonable data to question how effective masks are. Honestly though with states like California which has had mask laws and even past strict lockdown that has done little to stop the spread of Covid19 I am not expecting masks to have much results in Alberta either

What the mask law has done though is caused a good number of people from surrounding communities to shop elsewhere or order online. This will likely help limit transmission of Covid19 to surrounding towns so maybe we will get some indirect benefits from Edmonton mask laws

Just my present thoughts