View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Not really. That’s a completely wrong conclusion to come to. In fact, there is absolutely nothing one can conclude from looking at the numbers (and graphs) alone that you posted. It can be anything, including better testing, different age distribution, and so one. I am fairly confident that the probability of survival is nearly identical in both countries. If anything else, an average person is more likely to survive here in Canada simply because not everyone in the States gets the same treatment. I posted a study in one of the COVID threads a while back indicating that the CFR is practically identical in the two countries, in Canada it is being lower by 0.2% or something like that. I can look it up again if you like.

Like I said before, while the CFR they calculate by only considering the number of confirmed cases and reported deaths can be useful to researchers, for example, it is of no value to the general population due to various factors, including, but not limited to those I mentioned above. I don’t even know why the media is posting those graphs and numbers. Either there is a lack of understanding or they are just trying to get more eyes to read their articles. Of course, there can also be an agenda they are trying to push. It isn’t hard to see why the number of death per unit of population, while not perfect, but is by far a better number for general comparisons.
I think I made it quite clear that there are many variables at play. But people like to generalize. I also think it's kind of funny that you think everyone in Canada gets the same treatment.