View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You aren't missing anything. I shot a matched set of Purdies on a driven shoot and also shot a matched set of Italian guns used by an Italian Duke Ii took upland hunting many years ago. Both sets were absolutely beautiful guns but the difference between them and a set of matched shotguns that cost about 1/8th the price cannot be detected in the shooting.

Many if not most of the people that hunt in Europe are truly rich, the cost of these guns is not even a minor impediment to them but showing up with a matched set of Browning shotguns or Perazzi would definitely put you outside the uniform of your social group. Just the fact that the one fellows loaner guns were Purdies and that he had absolutely no qualms about letting me use them tells you how differently these guys view expensive guns. Like so many things, it is partly appreciation of the quality and craftsmanship and partly fitting in with the crowd you travel in.
I completely agree with your first paragraph. I am the proud (yes proud) owner of a Baikal 12g o/v. Built like a tank, including the visible file marks
But I have friend who is a very accomplished trap shooter who has a couple of upper end Citorri trap guns. He's shot my Baikal and even he was surprised how well he could do with it once he got used to it a bit.
Course there is always the Holland and Holland Range Rover for $250000.00
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...coming-to-u-s/ but the shotguns are not included...add another $100000.00.
I knew I shoulda been born a Saudi oil baron