View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 08:17 AM

On a lighter side.
As a kid/teen in Niagara falls Ont 34 years ago, one of my first jobs was at an amusement park. It was just down the road from the Woodstream factory. No Wood stream at the time made tackle boxes,fishing poles and animal traps. Victor brand. I would go scrap metal diving late at night after work-1100 pm. I know. Tresspassing, stealing metal/offcuts. I was 14, anyway. I would fill my gym bag with trap bodies,pans,springs,chains. I had to build a lot of leg holds,single and double spring, jump traps, stop loss traps, conibear, 110,220,330’s, even managed some power foot snares with snares. These guys threw out everything.
So I perfected my trapping as a youngster. Took the Ontario trappers course at 16,Raccoon, opposum, muskrat and then the skunk. I’m not gonna lie, I practiced before I took my licence course.
Caught my first skunk in a foothold. I was out on my dirt bike, converse basket ball shoes, jeans, you know 14 year old stuff. Anyway, it wasn’t dead. So I put a snare around it to finish it off. I didnt think it would spray. Well turns out. I pulled it out of the trap, it was caught by a toe. It was now partially snared and aggressively spraying me. Snare broke or came undone and skunk ran off. I was sprayed, my school shoes were sprayed, my bike was sprayed, helmet. Went home and my mother wouldnt let me in the house. Threw out all my stinky clothes, yelled at me, grounded me, made me shower a hundred times it seamed, then dad came home. It was a day to remember.
Anyway, thats what I learned all those years ago.
Lol.
Tullfan