Thread: Fall Crayfish
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
Purging them is a must unless you like that mud flavour. Everyone does it, even the big crawfish compaines in the south.

https://www.wikihow.com/Purge-Crawfish

Might have to pick up a few traps and have a feast. Mudbugs are delicious. And don't forget to suck the head!!!!
Problem with flushing is you are prohibited to be in possession of live crayfish in Alberta. According to the guys with the badges the second they are out of water they are to be killed

I've been studying this a bit myself for the last few months and I haven't had a successful scenario to test non-flushed vs flushed.

There is one study from LSU about flushing, here is a tidbit;

In conclusion, preparing crawfish for cooking by immersion in a water bath, with or without salt, for a short time will often provide some degree of cleansing, although this is mainly associated with exterior surfaces and the gill cavity where debris can accumulate. The amount of digesta in cooked crawfish subjected to an adequate wash may not be discernible from nonwashed crawfish; however, washing will lessen the amount of debris shed during the cooking process. There is no evidence from this study that suggests the use of salt in cleansing crawfish was beneficial, but results do indicate that a saltwater bath may contribute to increased mortality, if washed crawfish are subjected to refrigerated storage for several days prior to cooking. Conventional commercialstyle purging for 12 hours or longer is the only known way to significantly reduce the size of the hindgut in cooked crawfish, and that method is usually not practical for consumers.

Once again if you are going to flush you expose yourself to prosecution.

Last edited by Jayhad; 10-17-2019 at 12:12 PM.