View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 11:01 PM

Careful snow goose hunting can be an addiction. Lol
Shooting ducks and geese once u know what your doing is not much of a challenge. Having said that, Snow goose hunting is a whole different animal in itself. Just when u think u got it, u don’t lol. I find now 1/3rd hunts poor, 1/3rd are good and 1/3rd are stellar and keeps u going back for more. Because of the amount of gear it’s typically not bought in one shot, took me years to build spread, motion dekes, e caller, flyers, list is long. I,ve done it with 6 dozen dekes and 1300-1400 dekes. We have more but just no lol. Location as in exact same spot as they were night before is not critical whatsoever. Take advantage of the landscape where u can. Running traffic can be the sweet spot especially during heavy migration. Don’t shoot water.

Some guys are happy to have people tag along and experience, some out there like sherpas because quite frankly it’s work!. Get up in spring at 2-2:30 am or earlier depending if u can’t drag a trailer so your quading stuff in because fields too wet, set up 1000+ dekes, deal with all electronics; flyers, blinds yada yada cause your shooting 5ish am in morning. Absolutely Stupid early. U get into an awesome hunt, shoot 50 birds per person, now have to pick everything up, get back to vehicle and travel and then clean a ridulous amount of birds, quick nap and go scouting again for next am and over half the newbies are out after day one and don’t ever want to do that again. Shooting is fun but snow hunting is allot of work. If u luv it, then look out because it is an addiction that just grows. So if u get to tag along Ask a ton of questions and learn and do your part. We all have our own ways of doing things.

If u go solo. Great days to hunt is when u have weather or cloud and wind. You can have allot of fun pass shooting. U don’t get out guarantee u won’t shoot anything. Fill up the truck and put some miles on. Find where they roost and where feeding and get in the middle. Find best vantage point in the path. Have had great shoots pass shooting spring or fall.

I’m already counting the days, prepping gear and stoked to get back at it. Serious snow goose hunting’s are a little, well u know, a little special, special needs cause it’s nutz but i luv it. Nothing like watching your pup do some serious work. More importantly get to spend time with your buds and create new stories and have a ton of laughs. Best part of waterfowl hunting is the comeraderie. . 6-7 weeks and counting.

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 02-25-2021 at 11:09 PM.