Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Read this this morning and came here to post it before I got side-tracked It talks about how we can't really quantify how much energy is transferred to game by various bullets, which is one of the reason all the usual topics - SD, energy, velocity, caliber - are limited in terms of describing 'killing power'. Worth a read, IMO.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/...pound-fallacy/

Even talks about the 45-70 and 30-30 and why these relatively unimpressive rounds (from a velocity and trajectory POV), can be such reliable and impressive hunting cartridges. I don't own any rifles in these thumper cartridges, but for certain uses they make a lot of sense even though they are pretty much the antithesis of the high velocity, high BC, efficient cartridges.
That article just confirms what I've been saying, it's more about bullet design than the size of gun. Key points are rate of expansion, size of wound channel, and penetration. All these things are being addressed with modern bullets. Heavy for caliber bullets, like a 147gr 6.5 or a 175gr 7mm, like the new ELD-X. These bullets have a wide range of actual performance speed, and because they are long, have longer pedals which give them a wider (per caliber) frontal area when they expand.

Calibers originally designed to be whiz bangs, shooting heavy for caliber projectiles with proper design is what I'm talking about. They are traveling slower but the long bullets with high BC's carry their effective performance out to long ranges.