Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
Because nearly all of them have never shot one before, and their cartridge selection is a hypothetical, emotional response, rather than one based on pragmatic experience.
Or because they've read the experiences of those who have taken many dangerous game and come to the reasonable conclusion that the most powerful rifle you can shoot accurately is a good choice on some game. If I had a 375 and a 7mm that I could reliably hit the vitals with, I would choose the more powerful rifle for some game. Conversely, if the largest caliber I could shoot with hunting accuracy was a 308, I would choose not to intentionally hunt some game. There's a reason there's a caliber minimum for certain dangerous game in certain jurisdictions, no matter how much 'pragmatic experience' you've got.

BTW, criticizing the person rather than discussing ideas is called an ad hominem logical fallacy, or shooting the messenger in common parlance. It's the preferred form of discourse of teenage girls, political commentators, and is seen frequently on Internet forums just before moderators lock threads. The people I've known with the most 'pragmatic experience' including my 97 year old grandfather who grew up in the Great Depression, is a WWII veteran, and is one of the people I admire most never use it. FWIW.