Thread: Catch Rate
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
I agree with fish man and another factor maybe weighted flies a trick to not loose so many fish is to use an unweighted fly this way the fish can't shake loose as easy as compared to bead headed flies or even worse coneheaded.
I would love to some how see data on this, detailing the presentation of a non-weighted fly vs a weighted fly, and compare that to the hook up numbers when the fish are at specific depths. I currently would rather use a weighted fly than put split shot between my flies on my line somewhere when I need to get deeper or am in stronger current.

Then would need compare the number of the fish that are landed because of the fishes ability to shake the extra mass of a weighted fly. The problem is, that you would never REALLY know why the fish got off.

Personally I would think that any advantage of landing fish on non weighted flies would be insignificant if you were fishing barbed flies.

Its neat to think about though and might lead to be adding more non weighted flies to my setups just to see what happens.