Thread: Catch Rate
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 08:22 AM

Default Catch Rate

I fly fished for a short time before my shoulder injury became a problem. And i noticed what i wrote about below too when i fished. So here goes.

The last few times ive been out with my ultra lite with spinners on there has been a few fly guys close by. I notice the rate at which they hook fish is about the same as the spinning rod but and here is the question: the fly guys fish seem to get off very quickly before getting even to shore way more often than guys with spinning rods. Is it smaller hooks or just not getting the feel or? not stripping in fast enough?
Or is this just newbies or thats just the norm with fly fishing setups and if so anyone care to suggest why?

Im not being a smart a--. Seriously ive kinda been wondering this for quite a while. Had a guy yesterday who got me thinking on this again. He seemed to be very experienced. He hooked quite a few more fish than i but i got mine to shore for release way more even. I didnt ask him as i didnt want to seem like i was rubbing it in and i didnt know him. So any answers would be great to satisfy my curious mind.