View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 02:24 PM

To clarify so that I'm not misunderstood, yes, I firmly believe a well bred, well trained Springer is the best way to go for someone who primarily hunts pheasants. Having said that, I truly love pretty much all dogs. Shoot, I even like those little yappy lap dogs. I've owned many different breeds. Growing up my Dad was a "Hound Man". We ran hounds on coons, rabbits, etc. I've had Chessies, English Setters, a Gorden Setter, and of course the Springers. I have friends and family members who have Labs, Golden Retrievers, etc. and around here cow dogs dominate (Heelers, border collies, etc.), as I'm sure they do in Alberta as well. I have a friend who hunts pheasants with a mutt that appears to be part border collie and who knows what else, but they have a lot of fun and kill a lot of roosters. I like them all...

The bottom line is to get a dog you'll have fun with. Yes, I'm convinced that a Springer is the ultimate pheasant dog, but if a person prefers a pointing breed, a lab, or whatever breed catches your eye, go for it. You'll have fun regardless of whatever breed you decide on. It goes without saying (or should) to research the breed and research the breeders and make sure you're getting a pup with all the health clearances, etc. You're going to have a dog for an average of 12 to 14 years (hopefully), so be sure to do your homework!!