View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You got a toy gun you can plink with for $5k, where as if you had spent $10k you would have a rifle you could fly half way around the world with on the hunt of a lifetime and when the time comes to make that once in a lifetime shot, you know that it would hit its mark.

Some guys will blow twice that on a shotgun! A spray gun that has the same accuracy as a $300 rem 870, so you can shoot that pheasant of a lifetime.....

I’ve got a gunwerks, and I happened to kill the buck of a lifetime with it. Worth every cent in my opinion. It came with two loads at the time, I haven’t checked but they might have developed more. I shot the load given to me at 100yds and 1000yds and it was exactly as advertised, pretty impressive. When I call to check on new loads I talk to their very knowledgeable staff directly. I doubt there is another company with better customer service.

You’re not a big game hunter anymore, you like plinking so it’s obviously not going to appeal to you. I have a $35 cooey 22 I use for plinking that I can shoot spent shotgun shells with at 50yds with open sights, and a $500 wingmaster for shooting grouse, that’s good enough for me. I spend my money where my passion is.

Whether or not they are going under, I’m so glad I got one before they close up shop. Any qualified gunsmith will be able to fix any issues should they arise.
So are you going to tell me that you could not have killed the buck that we have been hearing about for so long, without a Gunwerks? You could not have killed it with a $5000 rifle, or even a $1000 rifle? Milo Hansen certainly didn't use a Gunwerks to kill his world record buck. The simple truth is that you can buy quality components, and build a rifle that will do whatever a Gunwerks rifle will do , for half the price. My go to big game rifle was built from quality components for $4000, about six years ago, and I would not hesitate to take it anywhere to hunt. It is reliable,and it was made with the exact stock pattern and LOP of my choice from McMillan, the exact barrel contour, length and rate of twist that I chose, and it shoots 1/2moa with my bullet of choice. Now if you aren't capable of developing accurate loads, and are not up to figuring out the trajectory on your own, then yes, for an extra $5000, companies like Gunwerks will gladly do the load development for you . Or if that Gunwerks name is worth $5000 worth of status to you, then by all means, spend that extra $5000. But the bottom line, is that the extra $5000 is not buying you accuracy or reliability that you can't get for half the price, there is nothing unique about the Gunwerks design or quality, there are many other rifles that offer similar performance , for a lot less money. I spent just over $4000 for a rimfire, because I wanted a rifle that handled and felt like a full sized rifle, and that produced 1/2 moa accuracy. You aren't going to find that in a Tikka or a CZ, or any other low priced rimfire. My Vudoo rimfire and my go to custom big game rifle together cost what a bottom end Gunwerks costs, so I have both a precision rimfire and a quality big game rifle for the same price.