Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
A few responses:

No. You are wrong on so many levels here. Dig deeper and find out who Calvin really was. He wasn't perfect and was complicit in the death of a man he and his community leaders in Geneva considered to be a heretic. Part of that can be attributed to the times. Calvin was a rather reluctant signatory to the order to that event and it was out of his hands.
Reluctant signatory? Sort of like Hitler's followers were just following orders?

So are you referring to Servetus or Jacques Gruet or? One burned at the stake, one tortured and then off with his head, all on Calvin's orders. Nice guy.

Quote:
...... Calvin was highly intellectual and logical in his approach and he was instrumental in developing and clarifying particular understandings of a Biblical Christian worldview. I am proud to claim him as part of my theological heritage. And I'm sure God said to him, when he arrived in heaven, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"
With all due respect to your faith, any god that would condone torture, beheadings and burning at the stake is not a god I want to commune with. Mind you, wasn't it Calvin who taught that the NT did not change the teachings of the OT? That would explain his penchant to the disgusting violence.

Seems to me that the Taliban and Calvin had a lot in common.

Please go forward and keep the good part of your faith, but to even attempt to justify this type of violence in the name of religion causes many to be seriously concerned about fundamentalist viewpoints, whether they be Christian, Jew or Muslim.

And that continues to be scary.