View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:04 PM

Howdy!

Amazing what a few months of education/research can do for someone. Maybe it’s a bad idea but I wanted to update this thread because so much has happened in the last couple months. I got a little tough love in PM from another member, and realized I should probably just go for it.

- Finished (and aced...) my AHEIA exam.
- Derailed my compound due to excessive string wear and poor tuning.
- Learned how to completely take apart and rebuild my compound. FML.
- Strung said compound with Flo Green strings to make it faster ().
- Achieved bullet hole paper tears with said compound.
- Drove all over the place and picked up county maps all over Central/Southern AB.
- Gained exclusive permission on 5 acres of land in the 312, majority of it forested. (Small, but a start! A friend of a friend of a friend’s god parents no less!)
- Gained exclusive permission on 8 acres of land in the 320 (YAY).
- Talked to about a dozen land owners, most of whom were peachy. Many of which granted permission to come and take care of coyotes, small game, what have you for little to no return on my part except respecting their wishes and behaving. I think because I drove up in a tiny dodge caliber, dressed like an adult, and let them know I didn’t even own a gun, a truck, or an ATV, probably helped a ton.
- Hiked around a whole bunch in WMU 410. Saw a bear. Left immediately. Didn’t go back. FML.
- Applied for as many draw tags as I could (999 of course…)
- Bought camo pants (mind = blown) .

I’m looking to finish up my hunting kit (I need knives (looking at a buck knives kit), range finder (got a kijiji one that is on its last legs), binos (Vortex?), boots (at a loss here)) in the coming months, and spend the winter shooting so that next year I can confidently pull tags and head out. I’m still dicey on skinning and gutting as well but I figure I’ll just have to go for it at some point. There is only so much that you can read in books and watch on youtube.

Anyhow, cheers guys. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and everyone is always so helpful. Wouldn’t have ever stepped foot into the woods without the encouragement I got (and that tough love too.. hah) from this place!

Thank you!!

Ryan