View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 07:47 AM
AO Sponsor

I dont recommend storing raw fur in such a manner. Stale skins do not dress well. The leather often ends up ick, brittle

Use a working freezer, line with cardboard including bottom and lay skins in flat. Its better if they are sealed in plastic bags, but for a year not necessary. Dry pelts I’m talking

You can store dry pelts in such manner many years, the less oil and fat the less skin will oxidize, seal in plastic if saving years.

Hide out skins such as muskrat, stack and plastic wrap, even vac seal. Make sure they are 100% dry or wet slots will burn and turn white. If you freeze them dried very fresh they will retain their fresh bright colour and stay that way for years, sealed in plastic.

One year i had 32 top lot calibre coyotes at end of season, but those years May sales always sucked. I laid flat in freezer, upon pulling out 3/4 year later they looked as fresh as fresh, but alas only 2 made top lot, i think a bunch went 2nd lot and my average on them was very high, much better than if i sold them in may.

That time

Raw skins as in wet, always store in plastic, skin on skin, skin 100% covered. Do not freeze wet raw skins much more than a year for best results. Way better to finish and dry, then store. Make extra effort to eliminate all fat for long term storage.