View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I've only ever seen one in the alpine. We watched it for several days rooting around like a grizz. On the 4th or 5th day we watched a grizz do a stalk on him. At the last minute the black bear realized what was going down and barely escaped. One of the coolest outdoor experiences I've ever had !

I was talking with a F&W officer who had spent some time in the Ya Ha and he had witnessed a grizz who specialized on preying on new born elk. It would hit the open areas and check under every spruce tree where the calves were.

I know if they opened up a few gated oil patch roads it might increase the wolf mortality. Here's a pack that hung around a well operators truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRxo-1JSz0Y

I see your point on the trapping issue. Maybe if we put a bounty on them it would give trappers more incentive to target wolves.
For sure DW. Grizz are very hard on new borns and have a large impact as well. Definitely another issue in our west country that needs to be addressed.

As well ive with blacks ive seen very few. In northern BC in the huge tracks of grizz country we did harvest the odd black in grizz country but 9/10 times they were very large boars that were able to defend themselves.