View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I love this.

How many black bears do all our sheep hunters see while hunting sheep? I guarantee if we did a poll it would be very very few. Wonder why that would be if there is such a good population in Grizz country?
Its pretty tough to argue with someone that has no time in the areas or knowledge on the topics.

Of course there is some overlap! But for the most part high alpine country that the largest percentage of Grizz inhabit there are very few black bears. Its a know fact of anyone that hunts these areas at all.
I've only ever seen one in the alpine. We watched it for several days rooting around like a grizz. On the 4th or 5th day we watched a grizz do a stalk on him. At the last minute the black bear realized what was going down and barely escaped. One of the coolest outdoor experiences I've ever had !

I was talking with a F&W officer who had spent some time in the Ya Ha and he had witnessed a grizz who specialized on preying on new born elk. It would hit the open areas and check under every spruce tree where the calves were.

I know if they opened up a few gated oil patch roads it might increase the wolf mortality. Here's a pack that hung around a well operators truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRxo-1JSz0Y

I see your point on the trapping issue. Maybe if we put a bounty on them it would give trappers more incentive to target wolves.