View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Wolves prey almost exclusively on ungulates during the winter while over the summer they include other species such as Hare and Beaver in their diet.

Although the frequency of kills is highly variable, study's have been done that suggest a typical number of one or ungulates per week per pack.

SRDs Wolf Management Plan has this to say about frequency of kills.

I found this from the International Wolf Center very interesting.
I'm not sure how much truth there is to it.

Most interesting to me is the claim that in this study wolves were estimated to have killed between 43,800 to 58,500 deer While hunters were estimated to have killed approximately 260,000 deer. And that doesn't account for Deer killed in collisions with vehicles.

That is part of the problem I have with these calls for Wolf culls.
I'm simply not convinced that Wolf predation is THE problem.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone killing a Wolf for whatever reason. I've certainly done my best to kill as many as I could.

The problem I have is with misinformation being touted as good reason to kill anything.
And with the finger pointing, blame game some fools here like to play.

Few Blacks in Grizzly country!! Utter nonsense!!

One of the higher Black Bear densities in Alberta is the Sheep River area http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/W...lackBears.aspx according to SRD.

Do I think Wolf populations are too high in some areas now? Yes I do.
Do I think there needs to be a Wolf cull, no I don't.
Do I care if others want to kill wolves? No I don't
Actually your posts about Minnesota wolves targeting such high numbers of deer isnt really much of a surprise Keg? What else are they supposed to eat?

When their total elk population is basically counted from two herds (The Grygla herd and the Kittson herd) and total numbers for the state are less than many single herds in Alberta and pretty much under 100 head!

And Moose numbers are at such a huge decline that they have closed the entire hunting season to try and solve the issue on why the moose are dieing off.

So when large ungulate numbers arent there its natural that the largest targeted species in that state would be deer which is in far over abundance in the Eastern states.

Im sure in many areas wolves target huge numbers of deer here in Alberta. But since you know the country you would know that in places such as the YaHa deer numbers arent significant enough to have high wolf harvests of them. For sure deer are on the hit list but sure arent in the thousands out there!!

Last edited by sheepguide; 10-12-2013 at 10:45 AM.