View Single Post
Old 04-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Sale of Wildlife

Default Sale of Wildlife

Just to set the record straight. I have personally never sold any of these items, I have given them away however:

Alberta Guide to Trapping Regulations 2002 - 2003

Page 10: Sale of Wildlife
Anyone may sell the following:
etc, etc, etc
> the claws, skulls and teeth of lawfully taken fur-bearing animals.

I am not a lawyer but this means to me, yes you can sell these items.

I was considering selling skulls but the time makes it hardly worth the while. A good, clean and whitened coyote goes for about $20.00 American. These are usually beetle cleaned as the nostrils are cleaned and intact. Boiling and cleaning the old fashioned way just doesn't cut it for scientific study level skulls. Universities, colleges, medical and vetrinarian schools and collectors all buy skulls. I have bear, beaver, badger & coyote and will look for more in the future. I like them best if I get them but some species don't live here in the South. I have heard there may be a place in Saskatoon University that has the beetles. If I were a full time trapper I would look into setting up my own beetle farm for this. Could be worth some good bucks. $20.00 US X 25 in my case is $500.00 us dollars in addition to my furs.

To see the value of skulls go to e-bay and watch the sales. There's all kinds of skulls sold at this site.

Good luck.

Oh, and I have contacted Fish & Wildlife...no problem. And I contacted customs...small quantities are not a problem. However, you should also check these yourself. In Alberta, to Albertans...no problem!