View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Listen. I've worked with public companies for most of my career. These companies do what they are tasked to do and that is look out for shareholders first and foremost. Fair enough but they have no loyalty to AB. They don't get to where they are because the are stupid or poor negotiators and game players. If you are an AB'er and care about the future of AB you would do well to keep that in mind when weighing pros and cons. Oil will not be around forever. What legacy do you want?
Your take on public companies is absolutely correct. When I invest - I expect to get a return on my money.
If the NDP start doing what they have done in other provinces - companies will start to withdraw the development of their business and go where they can achieve a better return on their investment. Individuals with the wearwithall to do likewise - will follow.
I care about Alberta - but I am not about to suffer financially to keep living here. Fortunately, I am in a position where I have several other options. Many do not.
Oil is a resource in Alberta that will be around for the forseeable future. There is approximately a 200 year supply in northern Alberta at the current production rates. Oil will be part of Alberta's legacy for a long time to come - generations. Why waste the opportunity?