Thread: BAD News
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
Well, if BAD's are going to be mandatory... How about on power ram snares? I have a bunch of power rams, but only use them in specific locations where I want to make sure the trail stays intact. I only use them when I have to because of the lack of release for them. I never use them where livestock could be.

Does anyone have a good release method on power rams?

I have considered putting an S BAD on either end of the snare. On the loop end, it seemed like it would be too slippery to hold the loop and awkward to use. On the Ram side, it would release the whole snare - leaving the critter with some jewelry which could cause problems later... which mr. farmer would not appreciate.

Graham.
I've been using nothing but Rams for the last two years. I run a BAD on them in the same position as a regular snare. I let a few go at first because a normally crimped 265 was too light for the way I anchor my Rams. Overcrimped 265 holds just fine but I switched to a normally crimped 385 because I was unsure of the release weight of an overcrimped 265.

I load all my snares and they're very fast and I get good high catches most of the time. Sometimes I think they're too fast or my loops are too smal because I catch the odd one ahead of the ears (rarely). Overall they work very well.

If you're anchoring your ram through the eye of the spring I suspect a 265 would be ok. I anchor mine from the arm with the split link where the snare attaches, I didn't like the idea of the cable "sawing" on the trigger when anchored to the eye.