View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have always had the 11-18 inch size range as average since I fished it for the first time over 20years ago. It has been a good number of years since I fished it last but according to friends who fish it often they still see the same

I can’t say I have or know anyone who experienced the bang on 15inch average you are but our average is not really a big variation either. I don’t have a realistic answer on why you keep catching only 15 inch fish other than they must like you

Spray is a strange Laker population I am curious if it’s been studied and what the findings are
Quote:
Mountain whitefish are abundant in the reservoir and reproduce successfully in the tributaries, but they do not seem to be preyed upon by lake trout. The mountain whitefish population is largely made up of old fish; 50% of those caught in 1986 were over 10 years old. The oldest one caught was 29 years old; it may be the oldest fish of this species ever caught in North America (Stelfox 1988).
The lack of appropriate prey for lake trout in the reservoir has led them to survive almost exclusively on plankton and midge larvae. Only 2% of 51 fish caught in 1986 had fish in their stomachs. The scarcity of fish in the diet of lake trout is likely one reason why the lake trout in Spray Lakes Reservoir die younger and are smaller at all ages than lake trout in lakes with abundant forage fish such as Lake Minnewanka (Stelfox 1988).
http://albertalakes.ualberta.ca/?pag...ion=4&lake=115