View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I understand your position - and you are right - tragedies will still happen and no law will prevent all incidents.

However, If we, as gun owners do nothing, the antis will push for a BAN and the topic will further polarise this issue. That is a war we may not win - so, IMO, we should get on the same page and reach a consensus.

The agenda is to save lives and avoid these tragedies.

If we, as a group, focus on this as a "people control" issue versus a "gun control" issue it may change perspectives on both sides of the argument.

We can, as gun advocates, initiate comprehensive background checks and screening protocols designed to eliminate any possibility of a person who has been deemed to be risk to legally purchase a firearm then we have satisfied the need for action and have come to the table first.

The reality is, strictly from a pragmatic perspective, that these regulations may have the effect as designed .... and perhaps a person on the high risk list will have to seek other (illegal) conduits to acquire a firearm and that increases his chance of getting busted and/or facing additional charges.

It could lead to a tragedy like this being prevented.

No law will ever prevent everything - because people break laws - but doing nothing isn't an option.

I have carefully considered the "slippery slope" part of this position, but at the end of the day, we are about preventing tragedies whilst retaining our rights to ownership without unreasonable restriction.

Just my 2 cents anyways.
I also believe we shouldn't "do nothing" .

We should protect schools as well as the country protects its gold. Teachers should be armed. So on and so forth.

There isn't only one way out of this.