View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 PM

The good thing about GM is its interchangeability. Basically any GM small block will bolt right in and depending on vintage and options likely hook right up to existing wiring. As said by others the 283 is likely salvageable. If so, while its opened up, put in some mild performance parts. Rebuild it and you won't have to worry about it for a long dang time.

If an engine needs to be replaced and I had a choice between a 350 or 327, hands down its the 327. It is quite easy to produce 400HP out of ANY small block chevy. The numbers aren't unbelievable but I would have to ask what the guy has done to the engine to see if I would actually believe its a 400HP engine. The 327 is an over-square engine and it loves to rev!!!

They are very easy to work on and parts are easily attained. I would have no issues buying a used 327 compared to a new crate 350 that will likely give you one year warranty. If he is a decent mechanic I would bet he built it well. It sounds like you put 500 miles a year on this car. Even if that crate motor had issues it would likely fail outside your warranty anyways. So really you aren't going to be any further ahead by spending extra at the dealership.

As I stated earlier I would find a reputable engine builder and rod up that little 283 and keep it numbers matching.