View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I was ready to dismiss the mounting board idea as I cannot see ever moving the transducer and it would require holes anyway. But I did some snooping and there was a guy that epoxied the mounting board to the transducer. It would be smart to have a board there just in case. He cut key's in the board with a dremel. I have a key cutting bit for my router table and am thinking of cutting some key's in a cutting board cut to size and epoxying it to the transducer. Thoughts?
You won't know if you need to move the transducer until you have mounted it and taken the boat out for a spin.

Keep in mind it's not uncommon to have to move it higher/lower or left/right to get consistent readings. To me, to risk drilling yet another 2-3 holes in your transom to re-position your transducer when you could have used a board is senseless.

Also, what happens a few years down the road when you upgrade your fish finder and need a different transducer?

Or what happens if you smack your transducer and it bends the screws and opens up your holes?

I'd say, and I'd insist, you buy the $20 board.....and do it right. Friends don't let friends do it wrong.

Keep in mind - with a board all you need are screws the correct length to penetrate the board but not too long as to pierce your transom. There will never be a need to drill another hole in your transom - and, as other have mentioned, you can glue it on or use a longer board and screw it above the water line.