Thread: Primer Storage
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
After a month in Palm Springs I returned to break-in a new 308 Win barrel with 8 cartridges I loaded just before leaving. They all went bang ... I loaded up a couple of groups the next morning, off to the Range ....every one failed to fire. Took them apart, reloaded from a different pack of primers (from the same brick), back to the Range ... clicks. Today tried some loads left over from a rifle I sold and they all went bang. No doubt something that happened while they were in storage killed the primers...the (partial) brick was stored in a metal container in a cool room while I was away. I have stored primers in the same location for years. Never had a problem before. CCI BR-2’s. Any ideas?
Hi 260 Rem,
Very similar with me also. Loading dozens and dozens of rounds for my .243 in Browning B78 for load work up and general shooting. CCI Large Rifle primers No.200, box of 1000. Have about 300 or so left, loading up some with Barnes bullets for my M70 Winchester .270, 40-50% don’t fire, significant dent in primer. Fact I’ve loaded .270 then .243 with same batch from same 100 lot. Not 1 misfire with .243. Off to the Smith here in Kamloops and Steve Jennings said nope nothing wrong with .270. Even showed him dented rounds and his feeling was faulty primers... once I explained the above he said John, I’ve seen a few unexplainable things over the years and this happens to be another one with primers. Just happy I was at the range for misfires.... and only 300 left Ican live with replacing them with different brand. Last bunch I used I think were Federals. What about Mag pistol primers in my long guns? I’ve a ton of those as I don’t pack my .44 S&W 629 for work anymore... sigh let the permit to carry lapse years ago now, dang in retro spect.... oh well. Any suggestions on primers appreciated Fellas.
Thx j