View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstream View Post
Dear forum members,
I have been shooting weekly for 5 month now since I started last fall.
I am going to give up on very adjustable beginners compound bow and get a new compound bow.
Question is,
I can draw...
#70 feels quite heavy and I don't know It i will ever feel comfortable with more practice to get used to it
#65 comfortable, which is what I am doing now, feels good)
#60 very very comfortable. (almost too comfortable)

Fact or False?
Is it true that the bow will perform better when max out at its draw weight?
For example, a #60 bow that maxed out at #62, will perform better with #70 bow backed down to #62.
I am kinda stuck in the middle and not sure if I should purchase a #60 or #70 model.
It will be my Hunting bow for 2019 Season.

Looking for you guys' thoughts and opinion.
Many thanks.

Steve
Took me a second to find that you're looking for an upgrade for hunting purposes.

A couple of things to consider when choosing weight:

- cooler weather means more clothing, which may/may not affect your ability to draw
- cool weather also means while you're sitting still, you no longer have warm muscles to yank back heavier weight
- cold muscles means also extra effort to draw, possibly affecting accuracy.

On a cooler morning while out hunting, I can sit still for a couple of hours and have an animal come in and I don't even feel the 70 pound weight as I draw back (adrenaline is usually coarsing through my body, enough to compensate for the cold muscles). BTW, there are tricks to keep some warmth in your muscles without moving...

I personally feel that 70 is a very comfortable weight for me while cold. Thought once or twice about jumping to 80 (in case of Murphy's law) but why take the chance of straining when 70 does the job. Bows of today even at the provincial minimum of 40 pounds will do the job when the arrow is put into the right place.

My suggestion would be to buy the 60 pound version. It will do the job, you will feel comfortable pulling it, and shoot it at its maxed out weight (most efficient weight). It will last you years.

J.