Thread: Brisket Recipe
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 11:38 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
As for recipes, I'm a KISS guy. A bit of olive oil mixed with mustard as a slather to get the rub to stick, then a simple mixture of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, and occasionally some smoked paprika and onion powder. I tried all the complex and store bought rubs, and in the end, I find most of them overwhelming. I want to taste the meat and the smoke.
Absolutely the best advice... The KISS mindset rules supreme. I am a SPOG guy through and through (kosher salt, pepper, onion and garlic) and once in a blue moon add a bit of the smoked paprika just the same. I still can't wrap my head around hot and fast but I do accept it is a proven method around quite a few winning cooks, but I personally am a low and slow smoker.

The last bit of advice I can give is absolutely do not use time as a gauge for doneness. Go strictly by internal meat temps until you get near the end, and then move to the toothpick test. Once I reach an internal temp of 195 degrees, insert a toothpick into the meat. It should go in with the same feeling as if you were inserting it into a standard room temperature block of butter. If it is still too firm it goes back on for another 3 to 5 degrees of temperature climb and then test again. I have some briskets totally done and ready at 195 and some that were almost 210. Things like fat content, meat density etc all affect how long it take for the piece of meat to cook to perfection. I have had briskets that I thought would take 10 hours finish in 7 and pieces that have take 16 hours... It is an art more than a science IMHO.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23