Thread: Brisket Recipe
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I agree with most steps on here. Just to throw a little mix in there, the winning team at the Porkapalooza BBQ Competition in Edmonton on the wkd cooks his brisket hot and fast style. I believe around 325 deg for around 6 hours. I haven't tried it yet but there is that option if you are in a time crunch. Myron Mixon (BBQ God) was one of the pioneers for the hot and fast method. If you try it, please let us know how it goes.
I think for a test, I might do both methods at the same time, on 2 different cookers of course, just to do a comparioson, would be a great trial.

Cheers,
SS
If you watch a bunch of the videos of Aaron Franklin on YouTube, there's one in particular where he's talking about the cook temps being around 320-325F for his briskets. The guy doing the filming starts asking questions about cooking at such a high temp and Aaron kinda clams up and changes the subject. That really caught my attention.

I plan on experimenting a little this summer with some higher temps. I kinda have my doubts given my setup (Broil King Keg) compared to a true offset or even a pellet grill, but the idea of cutting the cooking time in half and having the same or very similar results is really appealing to me. Worth a try for sure.

As for recipes, I'm a KISS guy. A bit of olive oil mixed with mustard as a slather to get the rub to stick, then a simple mixture of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, and occasionally some smoked paprika and onion powder. I tried all the complex and store bought rubs, and in the end, I find most of them overwhelming. I want to taste the meat and the smoke.