View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDemeter View Post
A lot of folks find that a combination of techniques can be helpful, especially when the issue is difficulty with initially FALLING asleep (the ones who have difficulty with early waking / can't STAY asleep have a much more difficult time).

You might want to look at some combination of:

- avoiding all electronics for one hour prior to bed-time (studies are showing that the blue light from screens can cause wakefulness)
- assessing your thirst / hunger throughout the evening, and adding in a late snack or drink as needed (something low carb / higher fat / higher protein so no sugar spike) --- or getting rid of that last snack if you already do have one close to bedtime
- creating an "end of day" ritual which will signal to your mind that it is sleep time (include a hot drink or snack if you need / want one, some gentle stretches, a walk around the house to set your mind at ease that all is well, a foot / hand soak and massage to get the extremities warm and ease possible restlessness, setting out clothes / food / etc for the next morning so that you know all is ready, whatever you find necessary and relaxing!)
- adjusting light and temperature of the bedroom (as dark as possible, fairly cool) and making sure that your bed / mattress / pillows are all your own personal definition of comfortable
- add in relaxation / breathing techniques (try what RedBullets suggested first, or try an imaging process that you repeat every night: such as creating the picture in your head of your "dream" hunting cabin in the mountains where you visualize each step of the design and layout --- as mentioned, your mind can only think of one thing at a time, and creating images ties up all parts of the brain)

Unless under extreme stress, it is the combination of late balanced snack, ritual, WARM FEET, and visualization / relaxation that works best for me.

Oh - and did your doc do a full physical along with blood work including vitamin / mineral levels when you went in? Some vitamin / mineral deficiencies can show up as difficulty with sleeping (due to restless or lightly cramping muscles or emotional / mental effects). Insomnia can also be a side-effect of other meds such as for blood pressure or cholesterol, so a chat with your doc or pharmacist about changing prescriptions or timing of taking the meds can make all the difference.

Good luck to you for a good rest!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply ,I can tell that you are well informed and to answer your question about blood work for mineral deficiency, it was not asked of me by the doctor, which I would have done if he'd asked ,just like that tooth brush commercial where she says (who knew).Also I have blood pressure problems ,sometimes I feel like my face is going to explode,I've tried several different kinds but nothing seems to work well ,I was prescribed these in lieu of an operation, before that I never used them at all,I'm starting to believe that I could just stop taking them. At this point I'm tired and totally confused.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.