View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 PM

Sounds exciting. Although we have no kids I have nephew who is beginning to show some interest. Until then I live vicariously through guys like you.

Almost any short action cartridge should suit her. (.308 and fatter can get a little snappier) but .243 would be my pick. It's a shame th3 .243 wssm never really caught on because it is darn near the perfect youth round.

I started with a 30-30 and my own uncle always said I needed to get close enough to see the whites of their eyes.

I'd say buy a decent new rifle or a decent used rifle because she'll likely outgrow it and you can recoup most of your original cost if/when you sell it.

Whatever you get for her, get her shooting off sticks single knee or standing first. This will mitigate her first impressions of recoil. Put her on the bench once she splits a cheek from grinning. Mind, you might be the one to split a cheek first.

As for the shotgun, a single shot Cooey or H&R will be cheap enough. Cut the butt to fit and slap on a decent recoil pad. Both have an external hammer and simple functions. Keep in mind the hammer weight on some of the later Cooey 840s can be a little heavy for little hands both to cock and lower to safe.

Good luck and make sur3 we get pics of that grin.

Colin