View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
I shared this on another thread awhile back

The Shooter and fellow beside him are lucky that things could of gone south fast.

We were at a shooting even with with a bunch of folks down south, normally there is 1 over see'er when the folks are at the line shooting,,, just happened to be that 2 of us we're on watch that day.

The shoot was underway as most of the folks were about halfway in the set when the range master from his end called a Cease-fire. 3 fellows stepped back from the line-up fast,,, looked like a blow-out happened.

Sure enough, one of the shooters had the action bolt blow out of his rifle, I'm still to this day suprize how that bolt cleared his face with out getting hit, it was his lucky day since he was wearing shooting glasses.

We found the bolt 20 to 25 feet behind the rifle, someone mentioned later that the bolt was fully intact along with the rifle action,,, the locking lugs looked ok from a visual inspection along with the action it self.

I wasn't doing the rifle thing since I was with another group of folks dealing with the 2 fellows closet to the blast, the fellow to the election port side on his right got sprayed by the tiny particles of shrapnel.

He was lucky even though he hand the smallest of skin abrasions on his hand and face,,, little blood spots from powder, brass, and steel slivers from the bolt action. He was about 4' from the chamber port when things went South.

I've been around alot of shooting ranges over the years, this was the first time I'd seen a bolt come out of a rifle. I started wearing shooting glasses and thick woven shooting shirt or jacket after that in shooting competions.

Both fellows were pretty lucky that day, the only information we heard a week after that was that it is very vary rare that this happens,

The range master that has worked with alot of firearm mentioned that the bolt face and lugs looked good, most likely it was not a full blow-out since the chamber iron would be cracked, lug/ (s) ripped off, and bolt face mushroomed from a over charge,,, the parts did not show signs of this,,, the only thing he """thought""" that could of happened was the old worn out lugs on the bolt allowed it to kick open on the shot.

Most of us will never really know since the shooter delt with the issue later on.

Deffinatly an eye opener.

I know one thing, I always do the double check just to make sure that to bolt handle is all the way down in the closed position.
That's crazy ..... I wonder, since there was no damage to the chamber, barrel or bolt itself it could have been a "hang fire" - probably didn't keep the bolt down (or lifted the bolt too early) and she went off after the bolt was up - damn lucky ......