Thread: AO Book Club
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I loved Wilbur Smith's Courtney series on South Africa!! And Shogun is a classic. Haven't read them in a long time, but now I want to again.

So for a change of pace, some of my all time favorite fiction, that I got drawn into a thousand years ago as a Dungeons and Dragons teen, besides Lord of the Rings...(Tolkien was ok)...The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen Donaldson. Anybody else read those? I bet I have read the first and second trilogy 3 times each!! Epic stories!

And my guilty pleasure is Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Douglas Adams made me laugh countless times. Arthur Dent is my alter.

Now I have exposed my Nerd roots....
Loved the Covenant series. At first I thought it was a Tolkien rip-off but after a few pages, really appreciated Donaldson's grasp of the language and writing style. The Gap Series was good as well by him. Hitchhikers guide was a hoot. Still use a few lines once in awhile.

Grew up with lot of historical fiction as my parents were voracious readers as well. Read pretty much everything by James Michener, Leon Uris, James Clavell, Gary Jennings, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Dostoyevsky and a lot of Classics. Enjoyed Sidney Sheldon as well.

Some other early ones from their shelf were Five Smooth Stones by Taylor Caldwell and On the Beach by Nevil Shute. This was after I finished every Thornton W. Burgess book on the shelf. (remember Reddy Fox, Peter Rabbit and Farmer Brown's boy?)

Some relatively recent reads include the Skystone series and Knights Templar series by Jack Whyte. The Skystone series is one of the best Arthurian series I've read. The Wolf of the Plains series by Conn Iguilden covering Genghis to Kublai Khan was very good as was his Emperor series covering Julius to Augustus.

I've been on a non-fiction binge lately and have read many of the books recommended in an earlier thread on this forum. Some great reads. Also read every Jack Reacher book as a guilty pleasure and countless dusters.

Great thread. I'll definitely be reading some of the books mentioned.

Edit: Forgot to add "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. An apocalyptic, vampire style story but a great series with a good ending. Reminded me of some of the Stephen King Books that started out great but had crappy endings. Not in this case.