View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM

I went under ice once in a creek when i was 8, it was an open creek about 3 feet deep and as i was crossing and trying to climb out on far side, the sled got stuck and I stepped into water to push sled and got my feet taken out by current and then swept into a deep hole and under the thin ice... after about 30 feet I popped my arms through and my dad grabbed them hauled me out and rolled me in snow to wick the water off... then it was a tear into the cabin 8 miles away and get the stove going... to this day i respect water!...

Then I was working forestry and crossing river on foot and was crossing backchannel but there was a spring and I went through up to chest, I lost a lense out of my glasses and had a 400m walk through bush to truck... at -30. Again i rolled in snow to wick the water away and then took off for the truck... kept eyes on truck and kept legs moving... got to truck and took keys out of fuel cap and started truck... crawled into backseat and took clothes off and got in sleeping bag... after an hour I could start moving legs again.... Very scary....

In both cases it was not drowning it was hypothermia....that was the biggest danger.

The vehicle story where one did not make it is a very real warning.... Thank You!