View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 PM

November many years ago, Son was drawn for Antlerless moose in Blackfoot.

We were headed back to truck at end of day when we came to a trail closed sign. I went ahead anyhow not wanting to take the long route back. When we came to the reason for the closure the beavers had flooded about 15 feet of the trail that extended about 40 feet into the bush, I got lazy did not want to fight thru thru the bush to get around, so I took a convenient beaver log and broke the ice, found it was 2" thick and only 3" deep.
So I busted thru every so often found no change till I was about 2 Feet from oposite side Turned to my son said those famous last words
"see no problem" took one more step broke thru and went in up to my chest in a damn beaver run! fortunatly the thing was only about a foot wide even though I never felt the bottom.
I managed to flop my way forward and get Out as only one leg went in the run the other was still in the shallow part. I had no gun only non waterproof binos I yelled at my son not to follow but go around thru the bush.
Well he's laughing his ass off. I yelled just meet me at the truck and took off for the 400 mtr run back to the truck at -20c my clothes were frozen stiff by the time I had gone 100 mtrs when wool pants freeze their like iron, turned the last 300 mtrs into a high speed waddle I got to the truck, I was soaked with sweat inside I started it and stripped down in the parking lot.
I had a pair of dry sweat pants and an old jack shirt, so thought dry clothes were first on the menu.
I had just finished putting them on when I noticed a woman sitting in her car watching about 4 stalls away, she must have figured the show was over as she then smiled waved and drove off.

Last edited by Moosetalker; 01-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.