View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I think there's laws against senior abuse You qualify as a senior?

Oh! I just remembered.

When I was a young lad I went ice fishing with a buddy. It seemed like the thing to do since there was no global whining then and it was the ice age after all.
The Detroit river would choke with ice but never ever really freeze solid. We used to ice fish in the canals that were used to load great lakes freighters. There was little to no current and the ice could get to 3 feet thick by the end of winter. Try chopping a hole in that with a spud.

At the mouth f the canal there was usually open water depending on which way the wind blew. We often fished at night without a shack. A Coleman lantern on the ice would allow us to watch a bobber in the hole.

When it was slow we would wander around to chat with the other fishermen. One night, I went to the mouth to see how the fishing was. The wind was blowing cold out into the canal. I turned my back to it and stepped back so I wasn't crowding the guys fishing there. As I stepped back the ice flow that I thought was solid ice tipped and I went to my knees in the water washing over the floe. Scared me skinny.

I looked like something out the Matrix as I 'got air' and landed back on the solid ice. I still don't know what was funny about that but there were lots of guys laughing.
I think I know which canals your talking about, infact I have prolly fished the same ones. I'd laugh at ya too!