Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
This site has a buy and sell, if you want to test your theory about them becoming obsolete, stick them on there and see how long they last!
I'm not saying guys don't want them, I'm saying that the 6.5's and 7's are a better option at normal ranges, a lot of people don't understand though and think it has to kick you hard in order to have effect on the animal.

I'm only keeping 2 of my 30cals and that's just for sentimental reasons, the other I am having rebarreled and I guarantee it's going to sell 10x faster in its new chambering.

Salavee,

You missed a couple things. Metals used in bullets have different properties, Some are heavy, some are light, some hold together and some blow apart. New ways of thinking have lead to new bullet design and even though a bullet starts life out long and skinny, it's length and speed give it the ability to make a big hole because it's pedals are bigger.

So, while SD is one way of getting penetration, bullet design is another way. The difference between the 6.5cal and the 30cal is BC which carries the kinetic energy down range in relatively similar weights. If you have a bullet of equal weight and design for both calibers, the 6.5 will have a higher BC and penetrate deeper, and because the bullet is longer it will have bigger pedals when it opens up, it'll also carry its speed longer so it stays in its performance zone farther out.

Of course I'm only talking about normal hunting range which most hunters feel comfortable shooting. If you're going to be shooting 800yds+, that's where the 30cal+ bullets in a long bullet with a high BC will have a clear edge over the 6.5's and at the outer reaches the 7's, but that takes a lot of powder to drive them those distances, heavy gun, not the best to be packing around.