View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I am genuinely interested in hearing what you suggest voters or candidates can do to end the selfishness. I think people are more likely than ever to vote for their own personal benefit than ever. So many people are single issue voters and ignore the big picture. And most will never agree what the big picture actually is.
Selfishness goes beyond politics. I believe it comes from a belief that "you can be anything, you can do anything" That starts with parenting and is supported by education systems religions, and media.

Are there examples of people that have overcome incredible odds to succeed in something? Absolutely. Is it the norm? Absolutely not. Are we giving people realistic or false hopes? Yes.

Social media and exposure has set people up for failure. People are encouraged to put themselves out there and this opens them up to critique. Few are able to handle that. Consider the number of stories you hear about "bullying" It usually stems from social media. Instead of one bully waiting for you at the bus stop, people have invited 10,000 bullies into their lives via social media. Not smart

This isnt new. 40 years ago, in every hockey arena, there were parents who literally destroyed the enjoyment of the game due to their belief that their kid was "the best".

Selfishness. It is pandemic.

I used to say the world would be better once the older generation was gone. Gone would be the days of men treating their wives as servants, racism, sexual harassment, and the constant talk of "the war".....

Now I see my generation has created a much worse environment by over compensating. We focused so much on swinging the pendulum away from those negative things that we created an "im special" society. One that takes offense to everything. We sue everyone for anything, we insist on giving everyone a participation ribbon for just breathing......

Selfishness breeds entitlement. We are at the entitlement stage. Im not sure what comes after, but it probably isnt good.

Covid will be a catalyst for change. Covid 2.0 will do more.

People will either be more aware of the needs of others, or it will turn into a gong show and a real hard crackdown

I just hope my errors havent affected too many people. I do not make them any longer but im as guilty as the next.