View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro View Post
Alberta isn't that old as a province, but the history is rich and amazing. I'm not even from Alberta, but I love digging into its' history.

Quebec population 8.5 million. Alberta population is almost half that at 4.3 million. Equalization is financed entirely from government of Canada general revenues raised through federal taxes on all Canadians. Fair? Maybe not.

Like it or not, Quebec puts Quebec first and that is an enviable position. They aren't willing to give in to the federal government and this I agree with. They didn't even sign the constitution act of 1982, they have their own constitution. Alberta signed the joke of a constitution, did Lougheed do the right thing? He fought hard for the right things, trying to secure Alberta's economic future. But hindsight is always 20/20. He was dealing with Pierre Idiot Trudeau at the time - remember the NEP and what it did to Alberta? What do you think the Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords were all about? Greasing the wheels, and still didn't pass. By the way, both brought forth by the Conservative Brian Mulroney.

Quebec has their own Charter of Rights and Freedoms, maybe people should give it a read and compare it to what Canada's says.
http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/c-12

Alot of people in Newfoundland hold Joey Smallwood in high regard. Brought Newfoundland into confederation but screwed up in so many ways. Lined his pockets pretty good when he left. One of the big things he did was screw Newfoundland over the Churchill Falls hydro deal, and it still exists today. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of Canada hasn't even heard about it. Newfoundlanders have reasons to be upset with Quebec, why is Alberta? Quebec pays federal taxes, double the population of Alberta means they pay more into the fed coffers. They get more back, but yet, Albertans seem to believe that they write a check to Quebec every year, sadly misinformed. It's anger based on misinformation and that's dangerous. Alberta gets nothing? Another fallacy. You're angry at the wrong people, but don't know why.

It may not be what you want, but instead of complaining about it like the good little Canadian, do something about it.
Four more charts describing NOT so equal payments in today's canada! These came from the National Post and were sourced from stats canada. This is how qeeeebc has the cheapest post secondary tuition in canada.....by far! They also have $7 per day daycare. Lots of other programs also financed through equalization????

Wexit is trying to do something about it. Some of their talk is pretty radical I must admit, but they are following your advice. Many, many Albertan's may not agree with everything Wexit stands for, but they have had enough of the current system!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contrib1.jpg (27.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg contrib2.jpg (24.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg contrib3.jpg (32.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg contrib4.jpg (21.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by zabbo; 04-09-2020 at 06:58 AM.