View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I wish that they didn't come with a scope, and an accu trigger. All mine have new scopes and a basix trigger. I'm very happy with the results. I only shoot targets and varmints, however to-day WF took the 243 deer hunting.
^great points, and I agree. I should have mentioned~there was no way I was taking a chance with a "package"..and basically gave my nephew a half-decent scope to get started with. I remember our first day at the range with it. He had that Axis with it's heavy trigger, my hand-me-down scope, a cheap Harris knock-off bipod and factory 55gr Hornady Varmint ammo, unmodified trigger.

I was at the bench beside him with my Savage 10 "Precision carbine" (rifle in my avatar pic), a Vortex Viper 4-16x scope, hand loads, heavy bags fore/aft and an accutrigger dialed-down to it's lightest.

All the extra time/money/effort wrapped up in my set-up meant tiny/cloverleaf groups @ 100 yards. His set-up with that dreadful trigger? All groups sub-MOA, including a few groups better than 1/2 MOA. Both guns equally capable of what they were purchased for...only @ drastically different cost!

I recently mounted a better scope on that rifle for him, and offered to zero it next time I hit the range. I did a little work to the trigger (for my sake, not his) but kept everything in the VERY safe zone weight-wise. I don't own a trigger-pull gauge, but it had to be in the 8lb range and I'd guess it's about 1/2 that now.

As for being ugly~I don't think they LOOK any uglier than most modern/econo bolt guns, but in terms of "feel"...? Pretty darn cheap. However, the gun gets in done, and I'd hazard a guess that most people who own them feel the same way.