View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Default Euro mount problem

Alright, so I have two deer heads - a whitetail spike kept as a practice run, and a mulie that I want to turn out nice.

Thawed out the spiker, skinned and fleshed, put it in a pot with hot water and dawn soap on the bbq. Hour later there’s an occasional bubble but not really simmering. Stripped what I could and put it back on for another hour with a wind shield around it. Bit better. Got the brain out.

This morning I picked up a single burner. Much better. Simmered for an hour. Started trying to clean it up. There’s bloody cartilage in all the little nose bones and damned if I can get it out. Eventually I got curious and knocked out the ‘nasal panels’ I guess you could call them....holy smokes. I thought it was almost good but there was tones of that crap in there. Would have smelled horrible.

Now I’ve been screwing around with this for 2 days, this thing has been cooking for 3 hours, in 2 pots of water, and it wasn’t close to being good. How much longer? Does hot water and soap really get that stuff out? Can a home made euro really be scent free or do most guys have them in the garage and not notice? What else did I screw up???