View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unless you are not leading enough, and are only hitting the rear portion of the bird, half a dozen pellets will provide clean kills. In fact two or three pellets in the head/neck area, will fold a duck, or a goose, and a few pellets will break a wing, dropping the bird. I shoot for the head neck area, and most of my birds are not riddled with pellets, even at close range. For skeet, you are close enough that a pattern can be pretty irregular, and still break clays, but for 50 yard plus sporting clays targets, it doesn't take much of a hole in a pattern , to have a gap large enough for the side profile of a target to sneak through, especially a mini. And given that one target is often the difference between winning and losing, losing even one target because of a bad pattern,is too many. In recent years, pretty much every top manufacturer has gone to extended forcing cones, so what may have been an issue decades ago doesn't appear to be a factor today, or companies like Kreighoff wouldn't be among the top choices for clays guns.
Half a dozen over a bird seems pretty light to me. Point being that a spotty pattern could end up missing vital targets.

A clay is a small target when it's sideways that far out for sure.

Probably isn't an issue now, and Browning doesn't seem to mention it anywhere now. Different ways cutting a chamber and different choke styles may have either made up for it, or magnified it. But that there is no real agreement leads me to believe that it is a non-issue.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!