View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 01:46 AM

I have a Savage Rascal as well, and it's been okay when kids are small (nice and light). The one issue I have with it is that it doesn't eject well, you have to really yank on the bolt or you're picking the casing out with your fingers. Price is right on them, think it was about $170.

My suggestion though, for an 11 year old, would be the world's best all-around .22 (should start some arguments) - go with a Ruger 10/22. Even though it's a semi-auto, they're very safe because they're easy to use, in terms of a good safety, enough weight that they don't feel like a 'toy' and extremely dependable. You can have the kid only load 1 or 2 at a time in the magazine if you prefer.

I bought one, took the wood stock off, put a very light adjustable synthetic stock on, and it probably weighs under 6 lbs. Stock can go from very short to long enough for me to use.

The only drawback is that the bolt can be a bit hard to cock, as the charging handle tends to be short. You can get aftermarket ones that fix this if needed. You can get them in shorter 18" barrel versions too.

They run about $275-$300 used for the standard sporter.

Another suggestion would be an older Lakefield bolt action. They were good in their day - probably get one for about $100 used now. Bit heavier and longer, but accurate.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited by canoe2; 02-06-2016 at 01:54 AM.