View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 03:18 PM

To all who have been discussing this. I don't get very much time to post or even read some of these forums but this was brought to my attention due to the fact that our business and my wife is being mentioned a lot!! Nancy is away right now so could not respond. I want to make some things crystal clear.

Nancy is president, and has been for a number of years, of the AOGAA (Angling Outfitters and Guide Association of Alberta). Currently this is strictly a voluntary organization that has about 55 members and is growing constantly. The fact there are no "rules" in place for fishing guiding in Alberta is not totally true. If anyone is guiding (launching a boat with a client) OR teaching in a Provincial Park or Protected area the below criteria apply. Directly cut out of the provinces website

APPLICATION FOR
GUIDING OR INSTRUCTING AN OUTDOOR ACTIVITY PERMIT

Definition: Anyone who guides or instructs persons on recreational trips in Provincial Parks and Recreation Areas for a fee paid by client(s) is considered a commercial guide or instructor and must obtain a Guiding or Instructing an Outdoor Activity Permit.

PERMIT APPLICATIONS WITH ATTACHMENTS (FEES, INSURANCE, BUSINESS LICENCE, POST- SEASON REPORT, etc.)

This may come as a surprise to many, especially guides, that this rule has been in place for many years. It has barely been enforced, especially in Fish Creek Park, but look to that to change. The AOGAA has adopted the provinces "requirements" to streamline with them. There are members currently working on a public website or Facebook page for the AOGAA to inform people what the group has been up to. There are a lot of things happening in fisheries, access, regulations, etc areas at the moment that directly affect the guiding industry which is the whole reason the group exists. Joining the group doesn't give anyone any more credibility but does add their voice to a strong group that has gained some substantial credibility when it comes to specific issues.

If anyone has any questions regarding the AOGAA they can contact Nancy (president) at Fish Tales or Josh (vice president) at OutFly or several others who are actively involved. This started and still is primarily a Bow River Watershed organization but does have members from across southern Alberta. There is NO "in club" or "clique" that's high school BS stuff. The ability to have input on serious issues (stream temperature, whirling disease, access, habitat degradation, and many more) that directly affect the fishery and therefore the guiding industry is critical.

I hope this clears up some of the mis information out there and look for a pubic website AND/OR Facebook page regarding the AOGAA in the near future.

Sincerely,

David Blair
Fish Tales Fly Shop
Calgary, AB