View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM

There is some great tips here.
On your end, make sure you practice with the trailer. It's a lot of pressure if you stink at it. Rookies tend to "over steer". Pretend you're following the boat in and just make small corrections. It will come easier as you do it more. I've been boating for years now and one time I forgot to put in the drain plug. That could have ended very negatively. I wasn't getting on plane very easily and it dawned on me lol.
Others have mentioned: get your boat ready to launch BEFORE you line up. Undo the tarps, plug the drain, undo the straps. I leave the front winch hooked up until the boat hits the water then release as my wife backs it in.
Relax if you make a mistake. If you are ready to launch and respectful, nobody will get upset. It's the folks who feel entitled to undo tarps and prep everything while everyone watches that people get upset at.
Remember these days. Once you're a seasoned pro, it will help you have patience with newbies struggling. Always lend a hand whenever possible.

Nothing beats experience. When you are loading up, come in very slowly. the rails of your trailer should be just barely submerged. Wind and chop are tough to navigate, but you will get a feel for it.
Dont forget to tie her down again and always re-tarp before hitting the road. Do this away from the launch area to again, avoid frustrating people. And PULL YOUR PLUG.
Dont leave minnows in the boat.

The best time to give it a go is on a weeknight when it's quiet. I suggest Wizard lake or Mulhurst bay at Pigeon Lake for your maiden voyage.

Have fun. It's expensive but totally worth it!