View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Don't get ahead of yourself with arming up with sidearms already. First worry about getting your licence and a few traps to start with.
Get to know the animals you are wanting to catch. Know how to make effective humane kill sets where possible and you don't have to dispatch as many animals. Most importantly you first have to learn how to be invisible in the bush.

A sidearm isn't worth carrying if you haven't caught anything yet? I trapped for many years and never carried a sidearm, and honestly haven't personally met any trappers in Alberta that do. There might be a few but not many. I think the only trappers that might be allowed to carry would be the registered long liners.

Glad you are interested in trapping. It is a great winter activity that keeps you close to the land. Trappers probably have the most compassion for all animals and their habitat. The knowledge required for many species goes much deeper than just hunting. Trapping requires having some knowledge of winter travel and survival too.

Ask questions any time, no matter how simple or odd, but remember that you have the internet at your fingertips. You can google alot of the answers you seek. youtube can be a good friend for tips too.
You are about to become a student again if you pursue trapping. Start by reading the trapping regulations first. Then read the manual. I would recommend taking the course as it is more hands on and teachs you alot before you even get to set a trap. If you are challenging the test i would suggest you find a local trapper that might take you out once or twice to show you the basics.

Good luck in your quest.