View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 03:37 PM

Default New rifle

You may think you know what you want for a hunting rifle but things mostly will change over the years - I am diagnosed with chronic GAS\MGPD (gun acquisition syndrome\multiple gun personality dissorder).

It's been really hard on my marriage but she's learning to be less of a b*tch about it.

If you can conquer your fears, I would consider looking for a used rifle on the equipment exchange here or Cgn, or even townpost. You will save at least 20% if you do your part.

Most guns on the equipment exchange are there because people buy guns and realize they really aren't into that particular chambering\configuration or don't have enough time for it. A lot of times, it's because a new cartridge in 6.5 has been released. I'm in the works with Hornady to develop a 270 creedmoor - it's basically a 270 but with a 2° shoulder change, a shorter neck, and the creedmoor stamping. The best part is that it's flatter than the 270 win by .5 inches at 1000 yards. Now that's forward thinking eh?!? it's a bullet proof idea. Pun intended
Anyway, I digress.

The risk is that you may not always know what gun you're getting; people abuse them, work em hard and put them away wet. I've seen people at the gun range cool their barrels by plunging it into the snow banks followed by a self-defecate into their tactical pants.

My rule of thumb is spend more than half your budget on your scope first, and then spend your remaining budget on the BOLT rifle. Your optics are the most important piece of equipment in the field. Anyone who says otherwise is a barrel plunger ^

Go to your local gun shop, ask the salesman to let you fondle a few rifles and see what fits in your hands the best. If the salesman is being lazy and hesitant about it, go to the next gun shop. If they try and tell you that one is better than the other because it's chambered in 6.5 and not 270 or 308, ask him if he plunges his barrel or wears diapers.

Savage axis, Remington 783, Ruger American - they will go bang every time and put bullets on paper just as much as any other rifle would. The big differences are fit and finish. You may get the occasional bad shooter from the budget rifle but the fancier rifles are not immune to a poor assembly either. As mentioned before, it's a Ford vs Chevy debate at this point. I've had stainless Tikka's come from the factory with rust on the bottom, WeatherBug vanguard's that didn't shoot their sub moa guarantee, and I've also had 783:s shoot clover leafs with cheap factory ammo.

There is no such thing as the best all around rifle cartridge or the best rifle.
Each cartridge and rifle has an application in which it will excel in.

Except the 270 creedmoor. Guys, you have no idea.

As for the inferior 308 and 270;

On average, A 270 will hit harder at 500yds by about 100ft-lbs but at 100 yds, the 308 hits harder by 100ft-lb. The 270 Catches up with the 308 around the 400yd mark.

The 270 will be flying much flatter than the 308 at all ranges after maximum point blank

Enjoy this massive overflow of information.
I apologise for throwing everything out there at once.
And as I've mentioned before, take my own advice with a grain of salt.
This will be your hunting set-up
Not mine.

Best of luck.