View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I don't see barrel heating or fouling as a likely culprit.

Not with thee shot groups at two to three minutes between shots and 15 to 20 minutes between groups.

Barrel was cleaned three times during the tests. A total of 24 rounds fired over a span of 12 days.

Lets say heating was the cause. How does that work? How does heat or fouling cause group to move to the right when adjustment was made to the left?

I thought heating and fouling opened up the group. Never heard of it causing groups to move in the opposite direction of adjustments.
The science behind it isn't that straight forward. I was in a similar situation to you with much better components not to long ago. Floating the barrel helped remove flyers. As did only firing one shot with time between to cool. It makes a long day but bring multiple guns to help out with passing time. Once a barel heats up shots start to get erratic and it's hard to get back on track. Mirage from the barel will throw your shots as well. Ultimately your rifle will shoot in a cone and you can't expect it to group the same with every 3 shot group. That's why I recommended you shoot a 10 shot group. See what the rifle does. Cleaning the barel while shooting may of actually been causing your issues. I use to obsess over clean bores but learned most rifles shoot far more consistent dirty. Clean only when you notice accuracy changes.