View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I didn't want to fill a whole page with details of what I had eliminated as suspects.

The turrets on the scope indicate each click equals 1/4 inch at 100 yards.
I was shooting at 100 yards but since a I was shooting a 218 and not a 270 I thought it would be assumed that I was using a 100 yard zero.

The holes were drilled by a gunsmith, that's all I know. Except that this rifle was accurate a few years ago, with this scope.
And it was producing decent groups before the first adjustment only they were too far to the left.

1 1/2 inch three shot groups from an improvised field rest in a standing position. not sitting at a shooting bench. I think that is acceptable.

All were three shot groups. The three off paper were right of the previous group and after adjusting to the left. and all six were carefully aimed.

The first several groups were for load development so not intended for accuracy. After making the first adjustment, three additional groups were fired for accuracy and it is those three groups that raised the concern.

The mounts and scope rings are not loose. That was the first thing I checked. But I don't have torque wrenches.

Although it may be a good idea to check torque I don't have the tools to do so at this time. I think it's unlikely to be the cause but it sure won't hurt to check.
Could be fouling issues or barel heat. Is the load proven? I would try a 10 shot group at 100 and see how it turns out without changing anything. Make sure barell has time to cool between rounds.