View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 03:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman12b View Post
Assuming you have everything properly mounted and were firing consistently there are a few things. The rifle you are referencing seems older. Are you confident the ring holes are drilled straight? You may need to use rings like Leupold standard if there is misalignment. You did not indicate the range you were shooting but I assume 100 yards. On cheap scopes often the adjustment is 1/2 minute and not 1/4 which would explain the placement of the shots after adjustment. The shot off paper could have been an adjustment in wrong direction thereafter. This is a common mistake. Also if your not using an inch/lb torque driver for your rings you could be over or under torquing. The former will compress the working parts of the scope and your inputs on the dial will be unreliable. The latter will cause scope movement and result in inconstant shooting. You also mention that you were not really trying to hit the target. That will obviously lead to poor shooting. Basically you have not given enough info to really narrow it down but this may help. Best of luck!
I didn't want to fill a whole page with details of what I had eliminated as suspects.

The turrets on the scope indicate each click equals 1/4 inch at 100 yards.
I was shooting at 100 yards but since a I was shooting a 218 and not a 270 I thought it would be assumed that I was using a 100 yard zero.

The holes were drilled by a gunsmith, that's all I know. Except that this rifle was accurate a few years ago, with this scope.
And it was producing decent groups before the first adjustment only they were too far to the left.

1 1/2 inch three shot groups from an improvised field rest in a standing position. not sitting at a shooting bench. I think that is acceptable.

All were three shot groups. The three off paper were right of the previous group and after adjusting to the left. and all six were carefully aimed.

The first several groups were for load development so not intended for accuracy. After making the first adjustment, three additional groups were fired for accuracy and it is those three groups that raised the concern.

The mounts and scope rings are not loose. That was the first thing I checked. But I don't have torque wrenches.

Although it may be a good idea to check torque I don't have the tools to do so at this time. I think it's unlikely to be the cause but it sure won't hurt to check.

George Bernard Shaw